For the Moogly CAL Square 3 Post on Moogly.com click here.
For the Pattern on Cre8tionCrochet.com click here.
This is a beautiful square, it has a center that is similar to Square #1, but with more open outer rows. The designer calls the square ‘Crumpets and Tea’. I can definitely see this as a large doily under a beautiful tea service made out of a white cotton thread.
I have clicked around on Cre8tionCrochet.com before, they have a great selection of paid and free patterns for hookers of all levels. I actually have the Calypso Shawl on my to do list for a friends birthday coming up this spring.
My Notes for this square are pretty minimal, she writes great detailed instructions.
- To begin if you have trouble with the Magic Ring method it works with this as the start too: < ch3, sl st into a ring > then pick up the directions from the pattern.
- Rd 6 – This is where the square start to form, pull on all the (ch1) spaces to help define the corners.
- Rd 8 – You are going to have less stitches in this row in the corner area than the previous row. To make the corners on this row the (dc, ch 3, dc) is centered over the 3tr cluster with the middle tr under the ch spaces.
- Rd 10 & 11 – This row introduces hdc where before there were dc. Make sure you do the correct stitch so you don’t have to frog later. (You need the hdc because they pull the center medallion tight and helps it turn to a square. If you use dc you will have bowed out sides.
- I recommend blocking this square just to make the sides straight.